Monday, September 14, 2009

A Serendipity Weekend!



Serendipity: The faculty of finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for. This definition basically explains my weekend. What a wonderful, humbling and surprising weekend it was.

The Memorial Art Gallery’s annual Clothesline Arts Festival was this past weekend. I am blissfully exhausted from it and thrilled I was a participating artist in this wonderful event.



Quick timeline:
Friday my husband and I brought the displays etc… that I would be using for the weekend and dropped everything off at my tent/booth.

Saturday my friend Kim helped me decorate and open up the booth. My mother-in-law came to help me in the afternoon. Saturday rained and it was slow. I was a bit discouraged with the sales of that day but the company I kept was beautiful and the conversations warm and wonderful. The day brightened towards the end and little did I know things were in the works for a serendipitous day on Sunday. That was when I met Alison an artist who’s paintings are beautiful and familiar but I could place my finger on it. That evening when I got home I looked through my stack of business cards from artists I have collected over the years. Sure enough I found her card from 12 years ago! Well the next morning I showed her and how we laughed. One things lead to another and we traded our artwork and both walked away with a huge smiles on our faces knowing we were kindred spirits! How fun!

Sunday my son Nick came early (7am) to help me set up and open. The weather was perfect. When the coffee cart came around they even had our favorite muffins to boot! Nick and I set the tent up a little differently that morning and had a blast doing it. That was when the magic started. My dad popped in to say hi and wish me good luck and then people started coming in droves! It was awesome. I encountered many smiles and stories as ladies read my “Treasured Lockets” as they were picking out just the right piece for a dear friend. It made me feel so wonderful that my art was affecting so many in such a positive way. My friend Cindy came to help and the luck continued. My friends popped in and out all day and each one touched my heart with their words of encouragement and friendly smiles – I am blessed! The cherry on top was when Mike and Timmy came to pick up Nick and how they loved the booth and all the action inside. Timmy asked if next year he could help and I am thrilled!!!!!

As I write this posting, my coffee is hot, the weather is chilly and bright and I still have a huge smile on my face!
Namaste.

3 comments:

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

...so excited for you my friend. your booth looks wonderful...i will be doing the same next week...yikes! good to hear from you again and glad you are all better. much love and many blessings, mickey

Sr. Rosemary said...

Joan, glad to hear it all went so well. When I stopped by on Saturday, your booth felt homey and warm even though the weather was grey at the time. Sr. Rosemary

Julie said...

Way to go Joan - I wish I were closer - I would have loved to come bask in the excitement and joy of that Sunday! One day I'm flying out to Rochester :-).