Thursday, January 1, 2009

Effort

Every year we ask ourselves the same thing around the New Year, what will I do different this year – what should my New Year’s resolution be? This year for me my New Year’s resolution can be summed up in one word – “Effort!”

Sure the same topics come up, be a better parent and wife, pray more, be more patient, volunteer more in the community, do more artwork, try marketing myself, loss weight etc…But the fires dies too quickly and by February I am back to the same old habits.

This year will be different because instead of putting a list together of things I need or want to do that can be overwhelming, I will simply remember this single word “Effort” and work it into my everyday conversations with myself. (Yes – I talk to myself constantly – another area where “Effort” will be applied, to quiet the chatter.) Meanwhile the question I will ask is “Is this my best effort at this moment?” If it is great, if it is not then I will be aware and with awareness I can change it. Then I can continue on life’s journey knowing I am trying and that good things will come out of this effort.

This idea of “Effort” has grown out of my yoga practice where I amaze myself with the things I can do. Trust me this has not been an easy journey for me to say the least but it has clearly illustrated the results effort can make in your life!

Think about it, it is a powerful concept. If we all applied this idea positive things will come out of it. Example: When grocery shopping take a moment and look in your cart and ask “Did I make effort to select the best foods for my family?” If not, change it. What would be the result of this action? A healthier body and a happier mind. Perhaps more energy that can be the nudge we are looking for to exercise more.

Here is another example: When someone is really annoying you that can be a perfect time to ask “How much effort am I putting in to help this situation, or to truly hear this person?” If we are truly putting forth the best effort then maybe we need to step away from them and give ourselves the benefit of a timeout. If we are not putting forth the effort it would be a good time to try, start by looking in their eyes and listen, and remember listening is done with the mouth closed! What would be the result of this action? Hopefully a peaceful resolution or at least understanding and respecting another point of view. Think how often you could use this – friends, family even strangers, maybe this could be the path to world peace or at least peace in our corner of the world.

With a little more positive “Effort” 2009 could be the best year ever! Happy New Year and may God bless you and yours! Let me leave you with a few wonderful quotes I have recently come across.

“Our attitude towards life determines life’s attitude towards us.”
“Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.”
“You are only limited by your imagination.”

Namaste.

No comments: