Sunday, March 15, 2009

When Irish Eyes are Smiling then you Know the Soda Bread is Great!

This is my favorit Irish soda bread recipe because there are no caraway seeds and raisens. I got this recipe from Marhta StewartLiving Magazine back in 2003. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! My kids love it with Irish butter warm from the oven. I will be baking this along with "Shamrock" sugar cookies today. Another favorit of ours that I will be preparing today is my Grandma's coleslaw recipe - her kids didn't like cooked cabage so she made that instead and it is awesome.

Ingredients
Serves 4 to 6
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 cup whole-wheat graham flour
2 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 2/3 cups buttermilk

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Whisk together the flours, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a large bowl. With a pastry blender or your fingertips, blend in butter until it resembles small peas. Add buttermilk all at once; stir with a fork until mixture holds together.
In the bowl, pat the dough into a domeshaped loaf about 7 inches in diameter. Lift out dough; transfer to lined sheet.
Lightly dust top of loaf with flour. Cut a 3/4-inch-deep cross in top, reaching almost all the way to edges. Bake, rotating sheet halfway through, until deep golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Namaste.

2 comments:

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

...sounds yummy! I want to come eat too! Have a great day and a blessed St. Patricks Day.
"Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ on my right, Christ on my left, Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down, Christ when I arise..."
Mickey

Joan Nichols ERYT said...

Hey Mickey,
Did you get a chance to try this recipe? I made some the other day and it also tastes great toasted with tea a day or two later! I hope you had a great St. Patrick's Day - I did!

Thank God Christ is always present, he sets a great example to us to remain present too!

Have a great weekend - are you watching any March Madness? We are I love college basketball - they play for the true love of the game and they play with all their hearts that's why I find it so much fun to watch!
Namaste,
Joan