Saturday, July 11, 2009

Bump in the road


I was just reminded of something that I needed to remember. First that we do live in a beautiful universe and there are bumps in the road.

This past week I have been sick with a respiratory infection that has truly interrupted my flow of life. I ache, I am tired and I have no voice but I still see how lucky I am. First I have been concentrating on the fact that I am blessed with good health 99.99% of the time and this “bump in the road” made me slow down to see that and to understand what a gift I have!

This “bump in the road” also slowed me down and allowed me to get the rest my body needs – naps are good.

This “bump in the road” has helped me listen to my family better since I have no real voice to speak of at the moment and in forcing me to listen I have given the gift of time to those who are most important to me.

This “bump in the road” has brought me to tears and I felt cleansed afterward. I released my sadness and have moved on lighter.

This “bump in the road” gave me the time to be more creative. I have been drawing new ideas for my upcoming art show this fall and getting my artwork done peacefully, and unhurried.

I could go on and on about how this “bump in the road” has effected my life positively but it all comes down to this, it was put there by God to help me slow down and smell the roses. And for this I am grateful. Also a special thanks goes out to Dr. Rob and his brother Ray for helping me put it all into words.
Namaste.

5 comments:

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

...god has a way of causing us to stop, pause and learn. to reflect on what we have and be thankful. i am so glad your bump in the road has been a blessing! xo, mickey

aliceinparis said...

I hope you are feeling better now. I wonder if you had Swine Flu? It goes straight to the respiratory system and packs a wallop. Here they are telling people right now that if you have a flu with repiratory symptoms, assume it is H1N1 and stay home until you are better unless of course you get worse and only then go to the hospital.The only way to know for sure if you have it is a nose swab.

I was really really sick last fall and you feel so helpless and at time almost hopeless but you are right...it is a message to slow down and realize what is important.

Joan Nichols ERYT said...

Thank you two for writing! It means so much. My doctor said I just have to wait it out but he didn't think it was the swine flu but what ever it is, it sure has knocked me down real good. Oh well if that is all I have to complain about I'll take it gladly. Thanks again for the kind thoughts!
Love,
Joan

Sr. Rosemary said...

Joan, I realize this is not easy but, in time, I am sure you will see the wisdom behind this "bump." It will teach me and other yogis patience as we wait for your return. Be gentle with yourself.
Sr. Rosemary

librarian said...

Joan,
You have been pushing yourself realy hard for that Triathlon. You definitely needed the rest and relaxation. Hope that you are feeling better and know that I am thinking of you.

Darlene