Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Summer Reading

This summer as part of my New Years resolution of "Effort", my summer reading will include some classics that I read long ago. One that I will be starting next is "To Kill a Mockingbird". I remember bits and pieces of the story and I remember it changed me.

A book that was given to me by a student of mine - Sue, was "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society". I finished it last week and simply loved it and would recommend it to all. I believe it is on the New York Times best sellers again this week.

"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" is written in letter form and the characters are from England in 1946 after WWII. When Sue gave me this book I had just become traditional "Pen pals" with Ali from England. I thought that was interesting timing.

The book I am currently reading is called "March" recommended by my dear friend since I was one years old! - Maureen. It is about the journey of the father from the book "Little Women" during his years in the Civil War.

This book has some graphic descriptions and I can only read it during the day. I am very sensitive to certain types of material and if I read them right before bed, I have trouble sleeping. So right before bed I usually read "Yoga Journal", or different art books, sketch my latest ideas or journal. That seems to keep me in a positive mind set for sleep.

Think about it. If you are feeling negative become mindful of how you start your day and how you end it. If we begin and end our day listening or watching the news and we are feeling negative change that behavior. We can get the news during the day so we can stay current and it gives us a chance to talk about it and move on from it. This is just a thought that I find helpful and keeps me starting and ending my days peacefully.
Namaste.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Joan - I've missed your blog! Life has been so crazy this summer that i'm not sure if I could handle being sick, so I hope you get better soon and are able to begin training again.

Thanks for your messages and ideas . . . always an inspiration, and for some reason I seem to be lead to your blog on days I'm just not feeling myself and your writing puts me right back to where I need to be.

I love your book choices - I've read all of them with the exception of "The Outliers" which my husband is reading right now for the second time - I'll have to swipe it from him after he finishes. "To Kill A Mockingbird" is my absolute favorite book of all time - the greatest work of literature ever written :-).