Friday, April 23, 2010

The Mastery of Love

As I am reading "The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz I am also enjoying the "Mastery of Love" cards that he has published. Love and self respect are key components to sticking with the "The Four Agreements". The first agreement is to speak impeccably and understand that your word is like a sword and has two sides. It can be used to create drama, chaos, and a living hell. Or it can be used to create love, beauty and life! We choose our words depending on how we are feeling at a particular moment. Practice responding after a few breaths rather than reacting automatically. This will take time to master but is truly worth the effort.

Here are two quotes by Don Miguel Ruiz that I find help me with my mind set to speak impeccably:

"Love and accept yourself just the way you are. You are what you are; you don't need to pretend to be something else. When you pretend to be what you are not, you are always going to fail."

"Accept others the way they are. You cannot change other people. To try to change them to fit what you want them to be is like trying to change a dog into a cat or a cat into a horse. They are what they are; you are what you are."

I find when I read and reread these words I find comfort and understanding of myself and those around me. It also helps me stay on track and helps me to choose my "words" better.

Namaste.

1 comment:

Julie said...

YES - truth - I love it when I find truth and it speaks to me. I've heard of this book, but never read it and I look forward to your insights as you read and share. Thanks for the thoughts - always helpful and always needed :-).

Julie