Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Books, I just love books!

Books, I just love books! When I go in to Barns and Noble I feel like a kid in a candy shop! I could stay there all day with a cup of tea or cafĂ© latte and just read (especially on days when it is raining out). The latest book I read was suggested to me by my dear friend Sue. She believes all women lucky enough to live in the USA should read this book and I totally agree!!!!! The book is “A Thousand Splendid Suns”. There are graphic moments in this book but there are also happy moments too. Most importantly this book helped me understand freedom and to truly be grateful for it. Just walking down the street has new meaning for me. I hope if you read this book you will feel this way too. We are blessed!

My next book I want to read is “Growing a Positive Mind” by Bill Larkin. This book was recommended to me by a master yoga trainer over this past weekend. The activities from this book that we participated in were eye opening and amazing. Start creating lists. Not of things that need to get done, start by listing things that make you sad. I know that sounds strange but when completed look at it and then rip it up and let it go! Truly let it go and be done with those feelings. Once that step is done start listing everything you are grateful for, this list will continue to grow if we really focus on the positive things in our lives! Keep that list going, read it everyday and hold it close to your heart. This will make us appreciate life and keep us in the moment! Think about it, you will be glad you did it!

Last but not least when it comes to books I love to lend them. In order to get them back to lend to someone else, I have just ordered book plates from an artist on ETSY. See Jaimee’s site especially if you like vintage designs. The book plates are printed on adhesive paper! I can’t wait to get them! http://www.ModernClassicsKids.etsy.com

Remember to aim you smiles, especially to those who seem grumpy – they need it the most!
Namaste!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Joanie - I loved that book too - my book club read it last year - it still reverberates in me! also try The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry; One Thousand White Women The Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus; or The Worst Hard Time The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl by Tim Egan

Joan Nichols ERYT said...

Anne,
thank you for the list of books! I am going to take it with me when I go to either the library or the book store next! I usually go to either one of them once a week! I'll let you know what I choose! Which one from that list did you like best?
Namaste,
Joan

Unknown said...

wow - not sure which one I liked best - Fergus and Egan's book were mind blowers that made me cry at times reading them - the lace reader was more of a swept away book that had lots of twists that made me stay up way too late to see what would happen next - so it depends on what you are looking for - though I don't always go to my book club meetings, I always read the book because they pick awesome books - another one that's a good chick-thriller is called restless, it's about a woman spy for Great Britain in WWII, fascinating!
love ya - Annie