Thursday, October 2, 2008

Where does the word yoga come from?

Where does the word yoga come from? The word yoga comes from the Sanskrit word yui meaning “yoke” or “union”. Yoga is the practice of uniting mind, body and spirit to achieve balance. This is accomplished through meditation and physical practices. There are many forms of Hatha Yoga.

Here is a very short list of some that are popular here in the States:“Ashtanga” – heat building sequences also referred to as “Power Yoga” and can be compared to “Vinyasa” yoga which links poses together;“Kundalini” focuses on energy through out the body, using deep rhythmic breathing, and chanting;“Iyengar” which concentrates on alignment and relies heavily on props is wonderful when just learning the poses and if you have back problems;“Bikram” which is a series of the same 26 poses done in a very hot room also referred to as “Hot Yoga”, must be in very good condition and bring water and towel to class.

2 comments:

Jaimee McClellan said...

My Aunt is a Yoga instructor. It's all so interesting. My husband has been trying to convince me to try Bikram but I'm not sure I'm quite ready for that.

Joan Nichols ERYT said...

Jaimee,
That is so neat that your aunt is a yoga instructor and that your husband does Bikram. If you are not sure if you are ready for Bikram try a flow style yoga. Usually these types of classes are taught in warm rooms - not as hot as Bikram - and can get you use to moving in the warmth. I personally love practicing and teaching in 90+ degree rooms. I feel relaxed and detoxed after it, so do most of my students. When I first started to do yoga I didn't like it but it made my back feel better so I kept with it. 15 years later I can't go a day without it!

The best advice I can give is try all types of yoga from all kinds of teachers and above all listen to your body - it truly will be your best teacher of what to do, what not to do, when to go deeper and when to pull back. Just leave the ego behind and close your eyes often and focus internally - Breath!

Let me know what kind you practice when you get a moment.
Namaste,
Joan