Sunday, February 15, 2009

Happily Ever After


Happily ever after is what we all seek. It is not that hard to understand, what is hard, is how do we achieve it?

The last two weeks I have been reading the “Twilight” series of books (my reasons for reading these books is a whole other story). Anyway I enjoyed the characters and needed to know how it ended up – I wanted them to have a “Happy Ever After!” I raced through the books even letting the laundry build up so I could find out. It was the same obsessive feeling I had when I first read “Pride and Prejudice” years ago. I just wanted the characters to be ok – isn’t that funny, maybe even a bit crazy?

Anyway as I was thinking about this theme I realized we all desire happy ever after but with life throwing us curve balls all the time how do we do it? The only answer I could come up with is, take it one day, one moment at a time and stay present always. We are only guaranteed the day we are in so make each day a “Happy Ever After!”

Sounds easier said then done huh? Well maybe it is not as hard as we think. What if we kept mindful of everything we are grateful for even on the days where nothing seems to be going right. In other words make that extra effort to see things we are thankful for that we take for granted and allow our minds to focus on them. Maybe we could write them down and keep a list in our pockets for us to go back to throughout our day. I believe that could work.

Another thing that could work is helping someone else. It could be the simplest of things like holding a door open for someone, listening to a friend in need, giving someone a hug or even a smile. When we help others we distract ourselves, we feel useful and at the end of the day we know we did well.

Here is another way, keep life simple. As humans for some reason we love to complicate things and when we do we tend to give ourselves our greatest heart breaks. We should really examine our choices and see them for what they really are and stop making excuses for bad behavior and just except the consequences and move on. You know – “Know Better Do Better!”

I guess when it all is said and done, life will throw us curve balls all the time, but we decide how we are going to catch them, and that is how we can build our own “Happily Ever After – moment by moment!

Namaste.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, have you given me so much to think about. First, I am so glad to know that I am not the only obsessive one who races through books to get to the end wanting a happily ever after. At least I don't cheat to find out by just going straight to the end. Second...keep it simple. Boy, I wish I did that better. I seem to get so involved in so many things and don't do the things I really want to do. So for now, I will focus on keeping it simple and count my blessings! thanks, Mickey

Joan Nichols ERYT said...

Mickey,
I am so glad you wrote - it is nice to know that I am not alone with my obsessive racing through books too! However there have been times when I have peeked to check if the book is going my way or not. However on those rare occations I still have finished the book!

One of my favorite sayings and one I say often at the end of teaching a yoga class is this: "Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly and leave the rest to God!"

I hope you are having a wonderful weekend.
Namaste,
Joan