Thursday, May 27, 2010

My Mother is Still Teaching Me!


As I get older things are different that I never expected. I have always heard other women complain about their body's changing but I never thought much about it. I felt I eat right and exercise so I should be okay. Well as usually with me I am eating those words! I do, do all the right things but nature is taking over to some extent. I was feeling down and becoming very nit picky about different aspects of my body and getting a little down.

The other day, as I was cleaning and getting ready for my friends to come over for our bi-weekly breakfast club I came across a folder of my mother's. (Now for those who may not know this my mom passed away from leukemia 3 years ago and I was one of her main caretakers.) Well the folder I found was her notes dated before she was diagnosed with her cancer. These notes were written in her own hand, notes for her doctor because she wasn't feeling well and wanted to know what was going on. They were very detailed and as you can imagine brought tears to my eyes.

My mom is still teaching me to be grateful every step of the way and these notes reminded me how blessed I am and that health is the greatest gift of all. So even though my body is changing as I get deeper into my 40's, it is healthy and strong and really what could be greater than that?
Namaste.

2 comments:

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

...so ironic that you are talking about aging...i have been reading the book "younger next year for women". unfortunately, unlike you, i have not been eating right and i wasn't excercising the way i should, but i am working on that. i know i will age and i am starting to feel it...i am into those deep years of 40, but as they say, there is no time like the present...so, i have been excercising and now i am even eating better. at least i can say that yes, i am getting older, but it is obvious that i am also getting wiser! although i know it is hard, what a precious gift to have such treasured memories of your mother and to continue to learn from the graces she left behind for you...xoxo, mickey

Lesley Austin said...

So true, so true Joan. Funnily enough, I was just telling my mother basically the same thing, for whenever we ride in the car, she looks in the visor mirror (never look in any car mirrors if you can help it! The side mirrors are the worst : )and complains about her skin (age spots, wrinkles, etc.).

I am now in my early 50s and the changes just keep coming. My approach is like yours, I think, eat well, exercise, do everything I can gracefully do to take care of myself and work on accepting the rest-again, as gracefully as possible...tho' I admit it to be a challenge at times!