Monday, November 17, 2008

Thanksgiving…What Does it All Mean?


I have been pondering the meaning of Thanksgiving trying to come up with something fresh and clever to say for my blog and I have been stuck. I know it all started with the Indians and pilgrims. But in this day and age when so much is taken for granted, and that we are so busy we can’t even think straight, let alone ponder about the meaning of Thanksgiving. Then I had a thought. I would do the unthinkable – slow down, pour myself a cup of tea and list what I am thankful for and be open to where it takes me.

Here is the result of my thinking. I am thankful for the following. My family, starting with my parents – I hit the jackpot with them and my life has been beautiful as a result – note that I didn’t say perfect! Continuing with my family – my husband, who after 15 years of marriage still makes me laugh and gets my heart racing. I am thankful for my sons, who have made me a better person and put a smile on my face just thinking of them. This has been great because my wrinkles are going in the right direction! I am thankful for our extended family for their support, love and that they always make life interesting!

I am grateful for my dog Charlie who is crazy and lovable and greets me like I am a queen every time I walk in the door!

My health! I look around and think thank you God for all the gifts you have given me. The gift of getting up and out of bed with ease each morning. The gift of smelling and tasting, seeing and hearing and touching, of walking and running. The list goes on and on. Really when was the last time you took a moment to think about it?

I am grateful for my creativity. It brings me unbelievable pleasure and takes me to places I can only imagine!

My yoga practice which helps me get through each day gracefully. I am grateful for the ability to teach yoga, and for the friends I have made along the way. Each person has been a blessing one way or another.

I am grateful for my friends both old and new for they truly are the spice of life. I am grateful for my home and other necessities.

Above all I am grateful that I have faith in God which brings me full circle to my parents, who were my first teachers and introduced the idea to me beautifully. I hope I am doing that for my family too!

Now for your homework. You will need paper, pen or pencil, a cup or glass of your favorite beverage and begin to write. Start by finishing this sentence… I am grateful for….

Happy Thanksgiving!
Namaste.

No comments: