Sunday, April 19, 2009

Getting Back on Track


I am back on track with my early morning Sunday postings! Yeah! This morning, which is also Greek Easter, I got up extra early to bake desserts for my husband’s family Greek Easter celebration that we will go to today. As always, this time of day in our home everything is quiet and baking is a pure pleasure for me. As the house fills with sweet aromas, a smile moves across my face as I sit back with my freshly brewed mug of tea - yes I said tea, that is a whole other story - and think about all the blessings in my life and write.

Gratitude is a powerful mood lifter and the past couple of weeks I have been a little down and I am having a hard time figuring out why. So today I figured I would turn a new leaf and list 10 things I am grateful for. Just in doing this simple exercise I feel as if a breath of fresh air has blown through me. A few of the items on my list today were hugs from my boys; my husband going to an art opening with me last night – which I have to say the exhibit was beautiful – again another story; that the sun is shinning; that computer’s have spell check! And the list goes on.

Another tool I use to help me lift my mood is looking at my “Vision Board” that hangs in my studio. You may be wondering, what is a “Vision Board”? So let me tell you. A “Vision Board” is a collage you make of images and words that help you express what is important in life, helps you set goals for the future and keeps you thinking of positive things you want in your life. You can create it as simply as you want or you can make it very elaborate. Some of the images and words on my board express where I am in my yoga practice and where I would like my practice to take me; it expresses my love of family and the connection I have with my husband; it includes the word “Forgiveness” to remind me to keep it in my life, not only to extend it to others but to forgive myself too; to keep life simple, safe and natural; to grow my mind and encourage my sons to do so to through my examples; to find peace and begin world peace - that is another story, however I feel it needs to begin somewhere so why not here! And this collage expresses direction for my artwork, and the blessing of friendships, ETC…… I truly recommend creating one and keeping it in a spot that you can reflect on it and add to it. Try it out and let me know how it is going.

Well the silence has now been shattered with the giggles of my sons as they play with Charlie our dog. This is my signal to get moving and help them start their day. Make this day extraordinary by doing the ordinary with a huge smile on your face. Take a moment to enjoy the sweet signs of spring.
Namaste!

No comments: