Thursday, May 21, 2009

"If"


The card I received from my dad this morning for my birthday had the most beautiful poem on it and I would like to share it with you all. It is called "If" by Emily Matthews.


"If you can value truth above approval, friendship over beauty, wealth or fame. If you can share your gifts and talents wisely, leaving someone better off than when you came. If you find happiness in simple pleasures and see the rainbow, not the falling rain. If you have faith to keep right on believing in miracles that no one can explain. If you look until you see the good in others and keep your spirit honest, true and free, then you'll be the happy and successful person you were meant to be."


"If you could see all the flowers in the world. If you could hear all the laughter in the universe. If you could make all the dreams that ever were wished come true, then you would know a little part of the joy of having and loving a daughter like you."


This has to be my favorite card!!!! Thanks Dad! You made me feel like a million dollars today!

Namaste.

3 comments:

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

...what a sweet thought from your father and what a beautiful poem. i love the part about looking for the good in others. it reminds me of a quote from one of my favorite presidents...abe lincoln...if you look for the good in man-kind, you will surely find it. xo, mickey

Joan Nichols ERYT said...

Mickey,
I love this quote! I think I will use it when teaching my next yoga class! Thanks for sharing! I hope you are having a great weekend! I went for a 15 mile bike ride and 2 mile run this morning - the weather was perfect. My Triathlon is exactly 2 weeks from today!
Namaste,
Joan

Julie said...

What a lovely poem - very well said . . . made me smile just reading it. Reminds me of Ghandi's famous quote, "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Imagine what this world could be if everyone focused their energies toward the positive.

What a wonderful person your dad must be to find such a beautiful thought for your birthday. Happy Birthday Joan!

Julie