Sunday, May 10, 2009

Shirley the woman who made the ordinary extraordinary


As I sit here sipping tea on this chilly and beautiful Mother’s Day Morning my thoughts naturally revolve around my mom. So let me introduce you all to my mom Shirley and what she has taught me over a lifetime.

Where to begin – hmm that is hard, I guess I could start by listing adjectives that fit her perfectly. Here we go…My mother was loving, kind, faith filled and faithful, caring, selfless, helpful, funny, a great listener, an amazing cook, made the best chocolate chip cookies ever, a friend, quick to smile, laughed a lot, my favorite teacher, knew I could and encouraged me to do things I would think were impossible, volunteer, patient, and beautiful inside and out. My list could go on and on for a few pages but I believe you got the idea.

Teacher seems to fit my mom perfectly. She was the best teacher I ever had and I know my brothers, cousins, and friends would agree. Everyone still talks about Shirley and how she taught them things from baking/cooking to being a great mom – parent - person. This in known as the “Shirley Factor.”

Now my mom didn’t teach in school or anything like that. My mom taught about life mostly through example. When I say my mom was kind, she truly was to everyone around her. It didn’t matter to my mom where you came from if you were rich or poor, if you needed her she simply was there.

Let me give you a few examples. My mom always helped her parents in what ever way she could, she never let her own brothers and sister down ever and was always there during their hard times in life and did so cheerfully. To my father (who is another light in my life that still shines brightly) she was as my father would say – “One of a kind” and their love was extraordinary – (My father dedicated a beautiful drawing of a train to my mom and titled it “One of a Kind”.) To my brother’s and I my mom was simply always there and never let us down, nor did she ever put us down but always offered us encouragement.

My mom taught me to volunteer. She did meals on wheels and Mt. Carmel House which is a hospice, for close to 30 years. She enjoyed helping, never complained and never bragged about the good she was doing for other, again if she was needed she was there.

Most of the lessons my mom taught me over a life time where lessons in humility, keeping life simple, appreciate what you have, family is number one and friends are precious. She taught me to be kind and helpful.

I learned the most or had the most “Ahaa” moments during my mother’s battle with cancer, her death and afterwards as I reflect on this beautiful person’s life that for some reason I was blessed enough call my mom!

Here are some examples. If you need to see love, hope and kindness in action spend an hour in a hospital’s lobby. You will see every expression of love from the elation of childbirth to the sadness to letting someone die, to the hope of good news, to the kindness of strangers helping strangers through simple gestures’ like opening a door. This would give me strength to go back upstairs and help my mom with a refreshed attitude. She taught me the proper progression of life by simply stating she would much rather it be her then any of us kids or our children. She taught me to be brave. Now let me tell you she was very human during all this and there were moments when she was scared and in great pain but always kept her faith.

We did hospice at my parents’ home and it was privileged that words can not describe. I was next to my mom on the bed when she went to heaven and felt her move through me like the wind. It was beautiful, and I am eternally grateful for that moment.

Now when I reflect on the person my mom was I am completely humbled and thankful. The lessons learned after my mom passed…… Live life to the fullest, tell those you love that you love them, smile often, take your time with your children, laugh and play, health is a gift and should be treated as such, and that our loved ones are still with us just is a different form.

As I wipe away my own tears, a smile has come across my face as I hear the excitement of my own children and husband doing the ordinary – making breakfast – and making my day extraordinary. I love and I am loved – how blessed I am – Thank you mom!!!!!
Namaste.

4 comments:

Anne Krieg said...

Dear Joanie:

Thank you for sharing your wisdom from your Mom's spectacular life! I miss my Aunt Shirley! We are all so lucky to have known her and I am so lucky to have you as a friend and my cousin!

Anonymous said...

Joanie Baloney: I thought about you all day today...and your brothers and Uncle Ubbis. I don't think a week goes by that I don't think of Aunt Shirl...a sting goes through my heart when it still has to register that she's gone, but like you said, a warmth and smile always follows thinking about your mother's beautiful face, her incredible laugh and the way she made absolutely everyone feel so special. Going to your house to visit was often the highlight of my year and mostly because she showered such love and warmth on everyone in her presence. She was a blessing to you as a mom and she was a blessing to me as an aunt I will always, always, always cherish and who I will never forget...ever. Love you lots. Annie
xo

Joan Nichols ERYT said...

Thank you so much Anne, and Annie for writting back! It means the world to me that my mom is still remembered! You gals are the best! I miss you two and hope to see you both soon! Lot of love!
Joan

Julie said...

What a lovely tribute to your mother . . . what an amazing woman and inspiriation she was to all who knew her. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and her wisdom - you're a beautiful writer.