Monday, May 25, 2009

While I can, I will


“While I can, I will” is a very powerful mantra to me. I thought of it while training for my first “Triathlon” which is now less than two weeks away. This thought pattern occurred to me after rereading the “Five Remembrances of Buddha”. The Five Remembrances are: 1. I am of the nature to grow old. There is no way to escape growing old. 2. I am of the nature to have ill health. There is no way to escape ill health. 3. I am of the nature to die. There is no way to escape death. 4. All that is dear to me and everyone I love are of the nature to change. There is no way to escape being separated from them. 5. My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand. (As found in “The Plum Village Chanting Book” by Thich Nhat Hahn - 1991)

When I first read this, years ago, I wasn’t ready for the information and found it very depressing. Something, however kept me going back to reread it because it just didn’t settle with me well. Eventually I had that “Aha!” moment and got it. Instead of it making me sad as it once did, it liberated me to truly understand the gifts that I have in this moment, to appreciate them and live in the moment with discipline, conscience and love.

Once I understood the concept that things will change in every aspect of life I started to make more effort in my life. It wasn’t with great leaps and bounds at first rather it was very methodical. I am like the tortoise from the story “The Tortoise and the Hare”, slow and steady and I keep on going.

In any event while training there have been times when I simply wanted to be lazy and blow it off and then I realized I may not always be able to do this and while I can I should. That has kept me going and often puts a great big smile on my face as I say a prayer of thanks. This philosophy has also spilled into other areas of my life especially with my children. They will only be this age once and I best enjoy it and I do taking time which is the biggest and best gift I can give my children!

Think and meditate on the above and put it into action. It will create a rich and thoughtful life.
Namaste.

6 comments:

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

...joan, this is so cool. i love how with time you came to see new meaning in the five remembrances and how you look for the blessings of what you are able to do today. how wonderful to live and enjoy being in the moment! keep us posted on your tri! you and the boys look great. how handsome they are! xo, mickey

Joan Nichols ERYT said...

Hey Mickey,
I will keep you updated about the "Tri" for sure. Right now I am icing my leg - I did something to my ankle so I need to take care of it. I swam early this morning and will do the same tomorrow along with my yoga!!!!Thank you for you awesome words! Have a great day!
Namaste,
Joan

aliceinparis said...

"I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand." So true.
The Buddhist way of looking at the world is so wise.
Best wishes on your Tri training. You've set a tough task for yourself! I have an artist friend training for the Louisville Ironman. She's almost 50!! http://www.livemultisport.com/author/jen/

Joan Nichols ERYT said...

That is so cool! I will check out her website. Thank you for sharing it with me! Have a great day!
Namaste,
Joan

Rosemary said...

Joan, thank you for these words. Certainly worth thinking about again and again. I believe you'll do fine in the Tri - remember, we're responsible for the effort, not the outcome. Namaste, Rosemary

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

hey joan. thanks for visiting and the compliments. we actually drill our pearls ourselves. wish i knew you could order them predrilled... it is very messy! xo, mickey