Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Grow in Peace


Hard work and dreams are always characteristics I admire in people. My friend Carrie is this sort of person. She has a dream of helping children in Uganda and is holding a fund raiser this Saturday November 14th. I am sure it will be a wonderful and enlightening evening. I hope all that can make it will there. Here is Carrie's website for additional information www.yogashines4change.com . I hope to see you there!

To help Carrie with her efforts I will be donating a piece of wearable art. This necklace is called "Grow in Peace" and is chuck full of symbolism. Below are the details.

Description: This 16 to 17 inch adjustable necklace is full of symbolism. I used a variety of materials including fine silver for the heart pendant; sterling silver chain, wire and clasp; 4, 6mm grade “A” cultured white round pearls; hand crafted brass “s” hook; a real birch twig: and a 10mm briolette cut amethyst.

Symbolism:
The heart shape symbolizes “Love”.
The “Sunflower” motif on the heart was casted from an antique ink tray that I molded, and represents always looking and facing the light.
The twig branch reminds us to keep ourselves rooted while we grow.
The pearls are for protection, honesty and innocence – all gifts we strive to give children.
The brass “S” hook represents the unexpected turns in life that bring about great change.
And the amethyst represents contentment, spirituality, dreams, healing and peace – gifts for our world.

Special note of the placement of the pearls. I placed 3 pearls on the right side to represent the "Trinity" and on the left side I placed a single pearl to show that one person can help change the world.
Namaste.

3 comments:

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

...this piece is gorgeous and the symbolism it incredible. i hope your friends fundraiser goes well. xo, mickeye

Julie said...

What a beautiful piece - good luck with the fundraiser. My dear friend just returned from Uganda - her work over there is amazing and I hope to go one day and help. Have your friend check out her blog: http://www.6footmama.blogspot.com/. Very inspiring!

Joan Nichols ERYT said...

Julie I will pass this information onto Carrie. Thank you for sending it! And yes the fund raiser was a success!