Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day Four

Today my day started off at 4:45am as I got up and went over to the YMCA. I did 20 minutes on the elliptical machine then into the studio for my 25 minute practice. I used the same practice that I used yesterday and noticed a difference in my hamstrings during "Parivrtta Krounchasana" (twisting lifted leg pose). It just felt better today as if my body knew what was coming and was ready.

After I did my practice I taught from 6-7am and was able to flow with the class for part of the time. It is a treat as a teacher to be able to flow a little bit with the class and tap into their great energy. I had a few new students this morning and that in and of its self is exciting to me. I hope they enjoyed their first class.

As a teacher it is thrilling to share a first class with a student. You never know how they will take to it and it is fun to see them start their own journey. Sometimes they come back and sometimes they don't, or they don't for a while then you will see them and they will say they needed it. And the coolest thing is when they come back and smile at you. You know they will keep on practicing, when that happens. It is just something you feel.

About my 40 day journey, so far I feel on top of the world. Prior to this adventure I was feeling down, almost lost, which for me felt very foreign, but it was true, that is how I felt. Everything was bothering me, stuff that I would normally be able to brush off I couldn't for some reason. Now I feel as if a soft breeze of change has blown my way giving me direction and the energy that I was lacking.

I find that the meditation at the beginning of the day seems to help me set my mind to the tasks at hand. It is such a pleasure to spend those first few moments of the day just "being still".

Like most people I came to yoga for the physical reasons of healing my body and then wanting to tone it. What I gained over the years and am fully recognizing and appreciating is the healthy dose of mindfulness training that I also get. That has made practicing a pleasure even though it is very challenging. In the words of Baron Baptiste "I believe that this quality is what gives yoga its magical and transformational powers..." How true that has been on my journey.

Make it a peaceful day - you do have the power to do that!
Namaste.
PS You are already so much more that you think you are!!!!!

No comments: