Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Day Three


Today has been a nicely paced day so far. I started with my 5 minutes of silence (meditation) then did the usual routine with the kids in the morning, walked the dog and then got to do my yoga practice once everyone left.

For my practice this morning I used the CD from Baron Baptiste's "The Yoga Bootcamp Box". I did the 20 minute vinyasa flow. I enjoyed being led through the practice and not having to think - truly a treat for a yoga teacher. I noticed my mind really connecting with my body. I am a bit stiff from my run/biking yesterday and this helped release the quads which have been screaming at me. I feel more alert.

I also took time to prepare 2 yoga classes for children that I will be teaching later today. As I was gathering my material, I reread the introduction to "My Daddy is a Pretzel" by Baron Baptiste. It is a very simple book and great for children 3-8 years of age. However the "Introduction" and "Tip" at the back of the book have great ideas that are ageless and important to all. The following paragraph in particular struck me as a parent and yoga teacher. I believe you will agree.

"As every parent understands, children imitate what they see, hear and feel. They naturally look for examples to follow. Although children have an inner compass that points them towards a true north, they do not know the difference between habits that give life and habits that take life away. They simply imitate and do what they see, hear and experience. So it makes a big difference when we adults make efforts to give direction and show what habits lead to a vital, healthy and happy life."

Most children do as they see, not always what they hear. So let's give them a hand and teach them through good examples that they can see and experience.

Have a peaceful day.
Namaste.

No comments: